Day 1: Read Matthew 25:40. As you look at your life right now, do you feel a greater sense of compassion fatigue or compassionate faith? What’s your “least of these” story about how God sent someone to help you in a time of your need?
Day 2: Read Matthew 25:34-36. How can you define “your job” by the good you do? How is God using you to meet the needs of others?
Day 3: Read Matthew 10:42. Boy Scouts teach more than doing a good deed every day, but doing a good turn at every opportunity. What opportunities did you catch to either do or receive good yesterday? What opportunities did you miss? Why?
Day 4: Read Matthew 25:44-45. Jesus in this story in Matthew 25 not only shows the road of compassionate faith, He also speaks of the indicators of compassion fatigue. Which ones does He identify in these verses? What are the signs of compassion fatigue you see as warning lights in your life? Why is it so important we deal with compassion fatigue and learn to start caring again?
Day 5: Read Matthew 25:37-40. When I think of these words form Matthew 25, I think of the life of Mother Teresa in reaching out to the poor and dying in Calcutta, India who observed, “When I look at the face of a needy person, I see Jesus.” Where have you seen the face of Jesus in the life of another? When have others seen the face of Jesus in you?
Day 6: Read Matthew 25:40. If you're battling compassion fatigue, then I challenge you to give this a try. When you first wake up, instead of thinking about all the trials and tribulations you must endure, ask this instead, "Lord, who can I bless today?"
You can GO DEEPER this week by reading:
- "The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Our World" by Richard Stearns (Amazon Kindle)
- "Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help, And How to Reverse It" by Robert D. Lupton (Amazon Kindle)
Recent GO DEEPER opportunities:
- Read the book"Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World" by Max Lucado (Amazon Kindle, Amazon Hard-copy)
- Read the book “Life Together and Prayerbook of the Bible” by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Amazon Kindle, Amazon Hard-copy)
- Read the book "October 31, 1517: Martin Luther and the Day that Changed the World" by Martin Marty (Amazon Kindle, Amazon Paperback, Audible)