This week’s Grow Pray Study (G.P.S) Guide provides an opportunity for a devotional framework as we move through Holy Week, especially leading into Good Friday. Each day’s readings refer to part of Jesus' journey from the Garden of Gethsemane to being place in the tomb. Before you read, pray:
“Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.”
As you read each day, Pastor Burkey encourages you to use the S.O.A.P. method of devotional reading (Scripture, Observe, Apply, Pray):
- Each day offers a Scripture reading.
- Then a place to Observe what you’ve read, what’s happening, what key statements are made.
- Follow up as you Apply what you’ve just read:
- How is God speaking to you through what you’ve read?
- Where is Jesus' story this week speaking into your life story this day?
- You might sense a sin to confess, an action to take, a word of thanksgiving or a special need to pray for someone.
- Take time to Pray to what you have sense God saying to you in this time in His word. In addition, I suggest 2 sentence prayers to end your time with God. Lord, thank you for … ___________ ... Lord, I ask … ___________ … Then close, “In Jesus name. Amen.”
Day 1: Read Scripture John 18:1-14. Jesus arrested.
Day 2: Read Scripture John 18:15-27. Jesus Tried/Peter Denies.
Day 3: Read Scripture John 18:28-40. Jesus before Pilate.
Day 4: Read Scripture John 19:1-22. Jesus was sentenced to death.
Day 5: Read Scripture John 19:23-37. Jesus crucified.
Day 6: Read Scripture John 19:38-42. Jesus is buried.
You can GO DEEPER this week by reading the book Six Hours One Friday: Living in the Power of the Cross by Max Lucado.